
A deus ex machina (Latin IPA: [ˈdeːus eks ˈmaːkʰina], literally "god from a machine")[1] is an improbable contrivance in a story characterized by a sudden unexpected solution to a seemingly intractable problem.[1] Neoclassical literary criticism, from Corneille and John Dennis on, took it as a given that one mark of a bad play was the sudden invocation of extraordinary circumstance. Thus, the term "deus ex machina" came to mean any inferior plot device that expeditiously solves the conflict of a narrative.
I was disappointed in the book. I found this term that explains what irritated me about Stephanie Meyer's plot line & the solutions she chose. The book could have been so much better...sigh...I still love first three books though :0)

5 comments:
Wow that is an amazing find! I think the definition definitely expresses quite well (unfortunately) the way sooooo many of us view it...sniff sniff
Wow! That definition was hard to read & I even have a BA from BYU!!!!!! I thought it could have been better too, but I loved the last page.
i finally finished the book...i was not happy!!!!!! i agree with you 100%. we gotta talk!
Carol-you know my friend Faun!! I am so glad cause she blog stalked and found me through your blog--how great is that. What a small world
Carol....yes I read my comments on my blog. Unfortunately, I still have dial-up and everything takes "like" 10 years to do anything! I have put off reading the last Stephenie Meyers book as I had to read Gone with the Wind for my book club. That is a good book and although very lengthy, it held my attention as well as the Twilight series. You won't find any "deus ex machina" in this book. P.S. I can't believe how grown up your kids are!! Take care,
Melanie
Post a Comment